In keeping with our mission, one of our schools primary goals is to ensure that all of our students are prepared with all the skills needed to lead successful and productive lives. By partnering with Goodwill Industries of Greater New York and Northern New Jersey, we have achieved our goal of creating a Transition Services model which will not only be in full compliance with state regulations regarding transition planning, but will inspire and empower students with disabilities to leverage their assets so they can develop and realize their career and post-secondary education potential.
Palisades Regional Academy’s innovative program called ” Pathways to the Future” is based on proven service models and best practices for transition services as well as guidance from the recently passed Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) of 2014. This federal legislation puts great emphasis on insuring that high school students with disabilities have sufficient services so that upon graduation, they will be ready for competitive employment and/or post- secondary education.
Unique components of the program include:
- Vocational evaluation based on the individualized needs of the student.
- Career pathways using real time data to map a clear ladder for the student to achieve success and expand potential career opportunities.
- Opportunities to obtain industry recognized credentials.
- Career Exploration Experiences
- Structured Learning Experiences both inside the school and in the community that includes Jobs Coaching
- Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS) that assist in transition planning.
- Expanded supportive services to include group sessions focused on life after high school with students and parent/guardians.
- Work Readiness workshops presented by Goodwill Industries and the “Add Us In” Consortium of New Jersey.
- Dual enrollment opportunities at Community Colleges (Hudson County Community College LEAP program).
- Community Service experiences.
- Driver Education